Monday, June 22, 2009

My first big thrill!

Oh, what a magical place...
Despite the fact that last night's shift was a lot of crazy haphazard randomness, I still love it. My leads didn't know where to put me and I was jumping around on churro carts and then had to stay late and close the cart, and hadn't really been trained so I was terribly confused and perplexed and my quarters went flying and I had to unload very cold drinks and it was all kinds of madness. And some of the people I worked with were disgruntled and whiny and definitely not in the spirit of magicalness! But still, I got to see Fantasmic and walk all over the park and make cinnamony goodness, and all at work!
And here's the real big excitement...so I'm standing behind my cart near Splash Mountain, waiting for my churros to finish cooking and dusting them up with cinnamon, nothing too crazy, and then up walks a very familiar face to my vending cart (actually, I saw my old master teacher too, but she wasn't the exciting one). And as he requests four churros (in a very, uh...colorful....voice) I recognized it was Fred Armisen! Not a huge celebrity, but still, a TV guy! (he's on Saturday Night Live cast, in case you didn't know, kind of smallish with dark hair and glasses, often plays a Hispanic or gay character-- now I see why). I was quite excited and as I prepared his order the guy working with me said "you know that's a celebrity, right?" And that confirmed it. I played it cool and gave him the churros, and he proceeded to have his friend take a picture of him holding all of them. Then we joked and said we'd give him four more if he ate them all, and he said it was tempting. Pretty darn cool...my first real star. The guy I was with said he's given popcorn to Hugh Jackman, lemonade to Paris Hilton (who makes her bodyguards wear pink sunglasses, evidently), and even bummed a cigarette from JOHNNY DEPP!!! Wow. The things you see at DIsneyland. But see, the policy is we can't "recognize" them. We just have to treat it as any other old random Joe out for a day in the park. But it makes for good stories! :)

No comments: