Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Flying solo with Mickey Mouse :)

Well, at last it's time!
I finally finished my training and am an official fully fledged Disneyland employee! Hurraaaay for me! And boy am I glad of it, too, I must say. The past five days (36 hours) of training have been quite ridiculous and boring at times. I spent tremendously agonizing amounts of time reviewing information or going over things again or standing around waiting for something to happen, or standing around waiting for my trainer to finish talking with someone and griping about things. See, evidently I came in at a very odd time because there is a confusing switch-over happening in the foods department between "ODV" (outdoor vending) and "QSR" (quick service restaurants). And it's causing a bunch of problems so there are all kinds of complaints and rumblings and dissatisfactions, and everyone is stirred up and talking about it. I'm learning that there is a very political side to this whole operation. And that a lot of Disney employees are not exactly the image of a magical thing, especially when we are not "on stage." And I'm learning what I already suspected, that while Grandpa Adams tried to tell me there would be plenty of guys to watch for in this place, a lot of the gentlemen employees are, well, let's just say they'd rather be hunting Mickey down than a princess...
So at last the walking through things with my hand held and still being perplexed and confused about things is over, and I get to really scoop and plop and pour and serve and what-not...granted this is a bit intimidating since I still don't know exactly what I'm doing, and since it is such a huge place with so many little ins and outs and craziness. But I'm excited. I traded in my tent-like trainee shirt and parachute pants for a slightly cuter New Orleans ODV outfit, and tomorrow I am going to be manning a frozen lemonade cart right by the rivers of America! Hurray.
So despite the weird politics and frustrating angles and scheduling mania and millions of things to remember and dozens of ways to get to the park (I discovered an efficient new route and parking lot today, that was cool), I am still loving it and amazed that I am actually working at Disneyland. I like taking moments to just step back and gaze down Main Street, thinking, "Wow.I really work here. This is crazy!" It is truly magical. And tomorrow the real fun begins....we shall see how that feels. I have now tried my hand at Churros, lemonade, slushees, popcorn, pretzels, and even turkey legs! Gobble gobble, here comes the fun :)

No comments: