Thursday, June 18, 2009

I still can't believe I'm doing it!

Well, today was my big first "solo" day!
And it got off to rather an interesting start, because I was actually sort of covering another shift, so instead of being the random floater kid I got to man my very own cart, which was exciting except that I didn't have an official pin number thing and had to start off doing all my sales on a tally sheet and adding in my head. Not that I had any problem with that, of course, but between that and getting the stand opened up with impatient customers and all, it was a little hectic. But then I got into the groove of it and it was so stinkin' fun! I was manning a frozen lemonade stand, featuring plain lemonade or a flavor shot of raspberry, cherry, or vanilla (yeah, I really don't know how well the vanilla matches lemon, but hey, don't knock it till you try it. Which I didn't because I don't get a discount and it costs four bucks and I am not allowed to drink "on stage"). We also sell souvenir sippers, chips, coffee, and hot chocolate. So it wasn't too complicated, but it was exciting enough because I'd be pouring the drinks and ringing up the guests and re-stocking the cups and wiping things down and all kinds of fun. Then of course there's answering questions when people walk by, usually directing them to the nearest restroom (across the way between the French Market restaurant and the train).
But that's what I love. Getting to sound super smart and answer questions, and helping people with my extensive Disneyland knowledge (it finally pays off! hurray!), and having people respond to friendliness with like attitude. I just love watching people be happy because they are at Disneyland. And I love making them happy because they are there. And I love watching how cranky people are when they are desperate for coffee (it's pretty funny), and how much we make them spend on a little slushee. Actually my cart isn't too outrageous except for the three dollar potato chips.
It is so neat to walk down and think "hey, I'm at Disneyland! This is my work and I am getting paid pretty decently to do it. And I'm at Disneyland!" And it's the coolest darn thing on two legs that I get to walk through all of those special "cast member only" doors that you always find when you're hunting a bathroom, and you wonder what's back there. And now I am privy to that knowledge. And I get to see people in mid costume carrying their big rodent heads around, or chatting it up with a neighbor as if oblivious to the fact that their is a big duck outfit covering their bottom half. It's so cool! I'm sure that the newness will wear off eventually and I'll be all grumbly and disgruntled like a lot of the people around here seem to be...but for now I am going to savor as much as possible enjoying the elements of this terrific job! Yay :)

No comments: