Thursday, October 9, 2008

New Verdict: late night meetings not healthy…

Well, the above conclusion was drawn after watching the woman in full form tonight. I came home to that rare but joyous dream of Grandma freedom, it being board meeting night. There was Grandpa, happily munching away on my cookies and telling me it was his second or third dessert of the night (oh, grandpa J), and commenting on how he could watch whatever he wanted on TV. Oh, it was nice. And then she came home. Let me tell you, I don’t know what it is but she is loopy! I mean she is acting quite literally drunk, to be perfectly descript. Not quite the bumbling goofy that David and Daniel get, but at least not belligerent. First she does her heaving and sighing and I didn’t dare ask how the meeting went (made that mistake last time). Then she called me Karen and asked me about three times in a row if I had eaten dinner. And what did I have. And did I eat it here. And then she asked if my friends liked my cookies, which is interesting because I didn’t make any cookies. So I iterated this fact, but she still didn’t quite believe it. Then she said my friends must have been disappointed, but I informed her that I hadn’t been hanging out with friends this evening, I actually had class…to which she said that of course she didn’t mean to be nosy. But she does an excellent job of it without meaning to, I must say…and then somehow or other she upset the table and the phone went flying off the couch and landed with a clatter. At which point she sang out “there go the peanuts!” So now it’s just getting kind of funny. I let her know the peanuts were safe, a detail I was quite delighted with myself as I wouldn’t have particularly enjoyed gathering the whole jar up from the already nut-strewn and ant-infested carpet…
And that is the part of the story where Kristin runs away to her lair and gets excited because it is time to start watching special features on the amazing new Sleeping Beauty fiftieth anniversary two-disc platinum edition Disney DVD!!! Hurray Amazon.com!!! Hmm…fiftieth anniversary. But I remember my Daddy saying that Sleeping Beauty was the first movie he watched in a theater. And he can’t be that old…heeheehee. Love you, the stories will just keep coming!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What?! Bumbling goofy??

I would like to inform you that Brother and I do not get bumbling goofy while drunk. We get intellectual and classy and physically attractive while drunk.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Grandma may be getting a little out-of-it lately.

What's interesting (aside from her calling you "Karen" and calling the telephone "peanuts", of course) is how the nosiness seems to come out more with these moments of loopiness.

I remember in a psychology class in college, the teacher mentioned how, when people get old, their inhibitions and "blockers" in their brain start to break down.

Our professor told us about old, senile Nazarene pastors who started to get dementia and would begin cussing like sailors. Apparently, they had the profanity in them the whole time; they'd just been holding it all back for 80-odd years. And then the dam would break.

Here's to you, dementia!