Thursday, September 18, 2008

Apples and ants...

September 17, 2008

Well, thanks to the marvelous blessing of Auntie Marilyn’s splendid little thumb drive, here I sit in the glorious privacy of my upstairs lair typing away, impervious to the glares of the woman beneath. Heehee, truly it isn’t as bad as the dramatized accounts told here make it out to be. But it’s fun to have a little outlet. The latest conclusion: there is no way I can possibly be right. It’s just the fact of the matter. You just don’t disagree. Like this morning, when she made out a random grocery list of about three items which weren’t even needed…and she told me we already had apples. I calmly and kindly attempted to point out that, in fact, there were no apples in the refrigerator. “Are you sure?” “Yes, I looked. There aren’t any.” Squeak, squeak, squeak. Lo and behold, no apples. By the way, I heard today that the apple costs have gone up due to fuel costs! Because they are transported. But that’s off topic…Actually, she mentioned to Linda that she still thinks of me as a little kid since she “never got to see me grow up.” That sure explains a lot. “Did you take your shower? Take your vitamins. You know how to do laundry?” At any rate, the other thing I have started up a bit is trying to make it slightly evident (but not too much) that I do in fact hear the things she gripes when she yells at Grandpa. “What’s she doing in the kitchen? What’s she doing? WHAT IS SHE DOING OUT THERE?!” “You know Grandma, you could ask me, I’m just fixing my lunch for tomorrow…” Oh my…and then there’s the ants. That’s probably one of the most frustrating things. Because I just don’t really care for the little buggers, but no one else seems to mind them. Grandma’s response is sometimes “well, they don’t eat much…” Uh, I’m not so much concerned for the welfare of the ants as the fact that I can’t sit at the dinner table because they are swarming around the food goobers left on Grandma’s placemat. Or I get ready to stretch on the floor and they are forming a trail around a rogue peanut. Whatever…
But nothing overly significant or out of the ordinary to report. Interrogation, glaring, whining…it’s old hat in life out here! But then I see Grandpa’s little smile and it sweetens the pill…
I’m trying to figure out something about making these blog thingies more commentable, but I don’t know exactly…any tips, let me know! Thanks :) I love you
Kristin

No comments: